Skip to main content

Your Light Shines

I liked to walk in the rain, being out in the rain was soothing, I was out in the world, a part of it, but also finding solitude. I have struggled most of my life with depression. In seminary, I was struggling with everything, especially wondering about my place in the world and if I was 'good enough.' One time I was out walking, and there was a tree that I would sometimes sit under to try to relax and slow down. It was raining so not a lot of people were around, they were inside staying dry. That evening, I poured my heart out to God, telling them how things didn't seem to be going well, how I felt inadequate, and my struggles. I don't know how long I did that but I was sobbing at the end. All of a sudden, I heard a twig snap behind me like someone was behind me and felt a presence. My head looked up and it had stopped raining and everything was perfectly still, no rain, no cars, no people. I felt all the emotions just drain away from me in that moment and I felt, really felt the peace that passes all understanding. It was amazing!! Amazing!! 

The next couple weeks, I imagine my eyes were spinning and popping out of my head and I was telling everyone this great peace that I experienced. After a while it kind of faded, and my worries and all that came back. I had forgotten about it after a while, because it didn't last and all my problems didn't melt away. 

We had a short story today and if you picked up the Bible and continued to read the story, you would hear that Jesus and the three would come down the mountain and find that the rest were struggling to heal a child and Jesus gets frustrated with them because of their unbelief and inability to help people. Jesus before this story tells them that he is the Messiah and that the Messiah has to be killed. Peter is like, "No Way! This is not the way." Jesus replies, "You are wrong Peter, this is the Way!" 

Up on that mountain, Jesus is talking with Moses and Elijah, who represented the history of God's relationship with Israel. Peter, James, and John are there to represent the future of the church. The cloud descends on them, reminding all of when Moses led the people out of Egypt and slavery and God's presence descended on the Mount Sinai, the Ark of the Covenant, and out in the wilderness. A voice, God's voice speaks out, "This is my beloved! Listen to him!" And then, the disciples are alone with Jesus and it's time to descend and go back to the world. 

You are loved! You are loved! What is our reaction to when you are told that? Some of us will respond with bravado, "Dang right I am loved!" believe we are entitled to the love, but scared that it can be lost. Some of us will respond with, "Yea, well, maybe, but you don't know..." thinking we aren't worthy or enough. Some of us will smile and maybe respond that I am love, all are loved, because we can trust in that and believe in that even when things aren't perfect, especially when they aren't perfect. 

I have tried to get that peace that passes all understanding back. I have found it in small doses and in small ways, but the Spirit blows where it will. But as God tells the disciples, breathing in that peace, that mountaintop isn't our goal.  My calling was not to sit under that tree. Peter, James, and John wanted to stay on that mountain, but were led away from it. Our goal is to listen and follow. It is to heal and love. It is to find our people, our community, and go together to transform the world. We start with our hearts, our minds, our souls, and our bodies, loving God, loving neighbors, and loving ourselves. We open ourselves to God's light by being still at times, then we set out to share it with the world. Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great is your Faith

 Who knows about the passenger ship St. Louis during WWII? It was a ship filled with mostly German citizens, who were Jews trying to flee the Nazi regime that was supposed to go to Havana, Cuba. When it arrived in Cuba, the government changed its mind and the ship went up the East Coast of the United States, looking to dock and save the 937 passengers from what was going on during the Holocaust. Cables were even sent to President Franklin D. Roosevelt but went unanswered because of the "American First" propaganda was strong in our nation. During our trip to Washington, DC and the Holocaust Museum, as we were talking about it the night before, I mistakingly told the youth that Anne Frank and her family were on that ship sitting in the New York harbor just out of reach of safety before they were turned back to Europe. The Frank family did apply for refugee status here in America, but were denied, again, because people and leaders didn't think or act that their lives mattere

Going up the Mountain

 Who heard of St. Anselm? He was a Bishop in the 11th century who put the final nail in the coffin of the theology that says that Jesus died to pay a debt to Satan so we can be released and go to heaven. Yes, for the first thousand years, most Christians thought Jesus died to pay a ransom to Satan to free us. St. Anselm thought if God was truly God and no one could stand against HIM, then nothing was owed to Satan. Then how this goes is that the debt wasn't owed to Satan but to God. St. Anselm lived in a world dominated by the church and kings, nobles, and a time when honor wasn't about doing the right thing, but who had the power. And because we weren't God, we didn't have the power, so we were slaves, servants, chattel to God whose very existence was an affront to God, until Jesus paid for our very lives and souls and then, then we had a chance to get into heaven. This fermented and grew until it became the individual quest for salvation that was removed from our worl

Rainbows and Hearts

 In the story of Noah, we hear and see the first time the word, "covenant" used in the Bible. In the prophecy of Jeremiah, he tells of the last covenant that will be given to us humans. The first covenant is given not just to Noah and humanity, but to every living thing and the world itself. The last one will be written on our hearts. In the story of the great flood, it is Noah who sacrifices and worships God that causes God to regret the action of flooding the world and so God makes the sign of the rainbow to remind Godself never to destroy the world again. Of course, the rainbow is a bow of an archer a weapon that is now turned upside down which can't be used to harm or destroy. Whether or not we believe in a flood that covered the whole world or just a portion, the story gives us assurance that God isn't in the world-ending business anymore. God literally hung up their weapon as a sign of peace to all life and a reminder not to do it again. On Friday night, we had